Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 453BX amplifier..... what is it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    453BX amplifier..... what is it?

    I have a handy dandy 453BX amplifier that I got in a box of other stuff. Would someone please explain what it is used for? When Googling it, I had very little success. One link called it a line amplifier, but that still doesn't mean much to me. It's only about 2x2x4 inches, and has male plug on the back that looks a lot like the socket side of a tube.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  2. #2
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 453BX amplifier..... what is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    I have a handy dandy 453BX amplifier that I got in a box of other stuff. Would someone please explain what it is used for? When Googling it, I had very little success. One link called it a line amplifier, but that still doesn't mean much to me. It's only about 2x2x4 inches, and has male plug on the back that looks a lot like the socket side of a tube.
    from the 453BX Operating Instructions:
    "The 453BX is a two-stage negative feedback telephone repeater amplifier. It is complemented with protective diodes to safeguard against high transient voltage surges on telephone or power line facilities. It operates from the 24 - 26 volt central office, a local battery, or the Altec Power Supply Units listed below as accessories."
    Experience is Knowledge

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 453BX amplifier..... what is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by whitebroncoii View Post
    ...."The 453BX is a two-stage negative feedback telephone repeater amplifier..........
    Okay..... so what is it :-)

    I had no idea Altec did anything with telephone systems...... would that make this quite an early piece of hardware. I thought all that was Western Electric.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #4
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 453BX amplifier..... what is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    Okay..... so what is it :-)

    I had no idea Altec did anything with telephone systems...... would that make this quite an early piece of hardware. I thought all that was Western Electric.
    The 453BX is a telephone system line amplifier that can boost the signal as much as 30dB.

    At various times Altec Lansing was into telephone systems, nurse-call, transformers, and military products.
    Experience is Knowledge

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 453BX amplifier..... what is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by whitebroncoii View Post
    The 453BX is a telephone system line amplifier that can boost the signal as much as 30dB.

    At various times Altec Lansing was into telephone systems, nurse-call, transformers, and military products.
    I see..... would it have any value/use today? Any idea what's inside?
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  6. #6
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 453BX amplifier..... what is it?

    Don't know about value or uses today.
    Here is what's inside . . .

    12
    Experience is Knowledge

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.